Saturday, April 9, 2011

The war on the poor


“This is a moral issue; the budget is a moral document. We can take care of the deficit and rebuild our infrastructure and strengthen our safety net by reducing military spending and eliminating corporate subsidies and tax loopholes for the rich. Or we can sink further into debt and amoral individualism by demonizing and starving the poor. Which side are you on?”
Mark Bittman, Time’s magazine food columnist, food critic

I'm not religious; I have no faith, except in the human capacity of doing good and bad things. But I feel offended by those claiming to be Christians while at the same time attacking the poor! If I remember correctly from my times at church, Jesus Christ was about compassion and protecting the weak. Those, voting at the Congress to stop basic social benefits to the poor, should, at least, be ashamed of calling themselves Christians...They continue the revolting saga of eliminating the poor not the poverty.

No comments: